KEEP THAT IMMUNE SYSTEM ON FIRE!
Our fitness goals start and end with what we consume and put in our bodies. There is no way around that. I’m sure you have heard the saying, “you can’t out train a bad diet”, and that couldn’t be any closer to the truth.
However, aside from speaking from a “composition/aesthetic” perspective, your OVERALL health is also largely impacted by your daily diet. This includes your immune system.
Living in the strange time that we currently are, keeping your immune systems up to par and boosted has never been more important. Fortunately, this is fairly simple to begin making improvements on and sustaining on a daily basis.
First and foremost I personally recommend EVERYONE takes a high quality Multi-Vitamin/Mineral supplement that has 200-500iu vitamin D3 in it every single morning. Life gets busy and even when we are trying our best (exercising regularly, tracking macros, eating nutrient dense foods, etc) there are always going to be deficiencies in certain areas that we aren’t even aware of. This is where a multivitamin comes in.
A proper multi will, at the very least, ensure that you have consumed a foundation of important vitamins/minerals and build a “base” to begin the day with. From here it is up to you to make the conscious decision to add in super immune boosting foods to your daily consumption.
SUPER IMMUNE BOOSTING FOODS
- Citrus Fruits – Very high in Vitamin C which your body cannot store so we need to consume on a daily. Vitamin C is thought to increase the production of white blood cells which help us fight off disease. Squeeze into foods or eat on the side!
- Green Vegetables
- Spinach- high content of vitamins A, B and E, plus magnesium, folate, and iron. All help to boost immune system. Eat raw or lightly cooked.
- Kale – Packed with vitamin C. Sautée kale with garlic and olive oil, or use fresh spinach to make an nutrient-rich saladtop. Add fresh mushrooms to pack an extra immune-boosting punch.
- Broccoli – Along with being a Vitamin C powerhouse, Broccoli supplies a range of B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, and B6) which help the immune system to run in top form.
- Garlic – Garlic has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. Crush this powerhouse up and sautée with all your vegetables, throw it in your rice, juice with it, etc.
- Ginger – Ginger has proven antibacterial and antiviral properties. Grate some fresh ginger and steep it in hot water to make tea. Fresh grated ginger also makes a great addition to healthy stir fried veggies.
- Blue Berries – Blueberries have the highest antioxidant capacity of all the popular fruits and vegetables. Flavonoids appear to be the berries’ main antioxidant with the greatest impact. Add these bad boys to shakes, oatmeal, or just grab a handful of them!
- Almonds – Packed with Vitamin E which is key to a healthy immune system. Crush up and throw in meals, purchase it in a nut butter, eat by itself, etc.
- Turmeric – Next level anit-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Take in pill form, add to meals, eat with honey, put in tea, etc.
- Green Tea – Green Teas are rich in infection fighting anti-oxidants called Polyphenols. Sip on this throughout the days.
- Look for foods that are high in zinc as well as zinc helps to maintain the immune system. Red meats like ground beef are high in zinc, cashews, eggs, legumes, seeds, dairy products, etc. Don’t sleep on zinc.
Alright, I am NOT a doctor. Furthest thing from it. No where near one. Let me repeat that again. I AM THE FURTHEST THING FROM A DOCTOR.
Ok, now that we got that out of the way I want to share with you some simple procedures that I continue to read about/follow that I feel should be done on a daily basis to help your body become a Safeguard during this strange time ON TOP of keeping your nutrition at peak performance!
Again, this is from my own research and things that I have been doing so I am not going to sit here and say that this IS the cure, but it just makes sense to me. Also keep in mind that a lot of these may seem simple, but I feel like a lot of us may need a reminder from time to time.
- Get active – Increase your blood flow, release good hormones, reduce your stress levels, and get those white blood cells circulating to zero in on infectious diseases that may enter your system. Even if it’s only 20 minutes/day GET MOVING. You will feel so much better because of it!
- Stay Hydrated – Keep everything functioning properly, utilize nutrients more efficiently, help fight infections, and overall feel better. Drink your water people!
- Get Some Vitamin D In Ya! – As mentioned above make sure you are supplementing with vitamin D3 every day (especially if you live in colder climates like myself with limited sun exposure at times!). Vitamin D3 deficiencies have been linked to a lot of cases. Stay healthy my friends!
- Wash your hands every hour – Pretty standard here. Get some foamy soap and suds up for 20 seconds. Take a break from work and get it done.
TRACKING, CALCULATING, AND ADJUSTING MACROS?
“Cool Adam, you have taught me how to keep my immune system high to help fight infections, but what about all this muscle I have? I don’t want to lose it during this quarantine. How do I make sure and keep all my muscle? Summer is coming up and I need to be looking sharp!”
Tracking proper macros. Period. No way around it.
I don’t care if you are trying to lose weight, trying to gain muscle, or trying to maintain during this quarantine, THE MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do for yourself to keep you on the right path is to track EXACLY what you are consuming and have a decent understanding of why you are consuming what you are.
With a proper macro breakdown and a workout program that allows you to stimulate your muscle fibres to the best of your abilities during this lacking time (like DVT Quarantine which you have access to), there should be no excuses to not continue to make progress towards your goals or at the very least maintain what you have.
Don’t have a clue of where your macros should be set?
No problem. I’ve wrote a Macro Guide on how to calculate, track, and adjust your macros for you and your goals back in this insights on the app if you missed it! Your fitness goals start and end with the information provided in that guide!
It takes 10 minutes. Grab a piece of paper + a pen and CALCULATE a target caloric intake/macro breakdown for YOU and YOUR goals! THIS IS SO IMPORTANT FOR EVERYONE TO DO! Stop spending so much money on fancy “fad diets” and start to hold yourself accountable and learn how to live a flexible, yet calculated life, while crushing your fitness goals! Simplify, simplify, simplify!
No excuses, let’s match our amazing workouts with some amazing nutrition! Let’s Go!